Roles and functions
The functions of Multicultural SA are consistent with those outlined in the South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission Act 1980, which are to:
- increase awareness and understanding of the ethnic diversity of the South Australian community and the implications of that diversity
- advise the Government and public authorities on, and assist them in, all matters relating to multiculturalism and ethnic affairs.
The functions of Multicultural SA also include:
- improving the accessibility and responsiveness of government services for people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- fostering a coordinated approach to multicultural affairs across government, including with respect to the settlement of new arrivals
- supporting and promoting the social, cultural, economic and political participation of culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- promoting the benefits of cultural diversity and fostering community harmony
- informing, supporting and consulting with multicultural community organisations and promoting cooperation among groups involved in multicultural affairs
- supporting multicultural community festivals and events; supporting and recommending special initiatives for groups such as multicultural youth, women, older people, LGBTIQ people, volunteers and people with disability
- providing information to the wider community on cultural and linguistic diversity in South Australia and all matters related to multiculturalism.