Roles and functions
The roles and functions of Multicultural SA are in keeping with those outlined in the South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission Act 1980, which are to:
- increase awareness and understanding of the ethnic diversity of the South Australian community and the implications of that diversity
- advise the Government and public authorities on, and assist them in, all matters relating to multiculturalism and ethnic affairs.
The functions of Multicultural SA also include:
- contribution to improving equitable access to government services for people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- fostering a coordinated approach to multicultural affairs across Government
- promoting the benefits of cultural diversity and fostering community harmony
- informing and consulting ethnic community organisations and promoting cooperation among groups involved in multicultural affairs
- supporting ethnic community festivals and events
- supporting and recommending special initiatives such as those for multicultural youth, women and the aged
- coordinating the activities of Advisory Committees
- providing information to students and teachers on multicultural matters.