Information and communication
Consumer and business services
Consumer and Business Services provides services and information to the general public on:
- Consumer Affairs (includes Product Safety)
- Business and Occupational Services (includes Business Names, Associations and Co-operatives, Licensing)
- Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Tenancies (includes Residential, Retail, Bonds and support to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal)
Tel: 131 882
Immigration, visas and citizenship
The Federal Department of Home Affairs deals with all immigration, visa and citizenship applications.
- Tel: 131 881 Immigration appointments and enquiries
- Tel: 131 880 Citizenship appointments and enquiries
- Tel: 131 450 Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) National
- Tel: 133 177 Global Feedback Unit
- Tel: 1800 040 070 (toll free in Australia) Employers' Immigration Hotline
- Tel: 1800 009 623 (toll free in Australia) Immigration Dob-in Line
- Tel: 133 677 National Relay Service (NRS) for callers with hearing, speech or communication impairments and for Text Telephone (TTY) or modem callers
- Tel: 1300 555 727 National Relay Service (NRS) for callers using Speech to Speech Relay (SSR).
Interpreting and Translating Centre
The Interpreting and Translating Centre provides fee based 24-hour interpreting and translating services in approximately 140 languages and dialects, including:
- translation from English or into English
- checking of translations
- editing and Proof-reading
- certified translations
At: Level 4, 44 Pirie Street, Adelaide
Tel: 1800 280 203
Various information is available at local libraries, often in other languages.
Local and District Councils
Local and district councils provide a range of information for those resident in their council area.
Map of South Australia
General information for all migrants to Adelaide and South Australia.
Seniors Information Service
The Catalyst Foundation provides information on support services for seniors, aged care, retirement housing, concessions. Community talks and seminars, free internet access and IT training available.
At: 76 Waymouth St, Adelaide
Tel: 8168 8776 or 1800 636 368 (SA country free call)
State and Federal Government information
Sa.gov.au is a State Government directory service listing all services and information. It covers everything from housing, law and transport, to taxes and health.
Federal government information can be found at the Australian Government website.
Tenants Information and Advocacy Service
The Tenants Information and Advocacy Service provides information, referral and advice relating to housing issues; negotiation and advocacy on behalf of customers with housing providers and landlords; representation of customers at Residential Tenancies Tribunal or Appeals Unit. For people on low incomes. Run by the Service to Youth Council.
Tenancy Advisors are also available for face-to-face inquiries at a number of SYC sites:
Adelaide: Wednesday 9am – 12pm - 135 Currie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Christies Beach: Friday 9 am – 12pm - York House, 120 Beach Road, Christies Beach SA 5165
Blair Athol: Tuesday 9.30 – 11.30am - Level 1, 350 Main North Road, Blair Athol SA 5084
Port Adelaide: Thursday 9.30 – 11.30am - Shop 2B, 171 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide SA 5015
Elizabeth: Monday 9am – 12pm - Shop 2, 47-49 Elizabeth Way, Elizabeth SA 5112
To make an appointment at any of the above outlets, please call 1800 060 462.
Women's Information Service
The Women's Information Service provides an information and referral service for all women in South Australia with the aim of empowering women to make informed decisions about their lives. They also offer family court support, free telephone legal advice, tax help annually, volunteer programs and a phone link up service for women living in rural areas. All services are free and confidential.
At: Ground Floor, 101 Grenfell St, Adelaide SA 5000
Tel: 8303 0961