Murray and Mallee
Adult Migrant English Program
TAFE SA English Language Services (ELS) delivers the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) across South Australia. Classes are full-time or part- time, day or evening. In addition, students can study by Distance Learning, privately with e-learning modules or with a volunteer home tutor who visits for two hours per week.
For humanitarian entrants and migrants aged 18 years and above with less than 'functional English'. Check eligibility at TAFE SA English Language Services, Level 5, 127 Rundle Mall, Adelaide. Run by TAFE SA English Language Services.
Tel: +61 8 8226 6555. Eligible students must register within the first six months of arrival in Australia. Entry to classes may occur only in the first two weeks of each school term.
For more information about the AMEP, visit the Department of Social Service's interactive map of settlement services.
Provide care, education, health, community development activities and family services for families and their young children. Each Children's Centre is tailored to meet the needs of the local community. For families and their young children aged from birth to eight years of age.
Tel: +61 8 8226 1755
- Tinyeri Children's Centre, 65 Jarvis Avenue, Murray Bridge
Tel: +61 8 8531 1515
- Renmark Children's Centre, 204 Eighteenth Street, Renmark
Tel: +61 8 8586 6063
Community Care Services
Information sessions, links to community groups and mainstream services for humanitarian entrants who have been in Australia for less than five years. Run by Lutheran Community Care SA
Tel: +61 8 8531 3644
Community centres offer a range of activities and programs for local people. Find local community centres and houses.
Disability Rights Advocacy Service
Advocates for people with disabilities and their family members and carers For disabled people, especially those from other countries and people who may not speak or read English well.
- Riverland Advocacy Service, 2 Ahern Street, Berri
Tel: +61 8 8582 2422
- MALSSA (Head Office – Adelaide) Tel: +61 8 8351 9500
- Free call from South Australian country areas, Tel: 1800 816 720
- Telephone Interpreter Service, Tel: 13 14 50
- National Relay Service, Tel: 13 36 77 or 1800 555 677
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free computer access
Find out where free internet, computer and training resources are available (some restrictions apply)
- East Murray Area School, Mindarie
Tel: +61 8 8578 7053
- Loxton Internet Access Centre (CATCH)
4 Drabsch Street, Loxton
Tel: +61 8 8584 6641
- Morgan Internet and Resource Centre
10 Fourth Street, Morgan
Tel: +61 8 8540 2643
- Murray Bridge Community Centre
18 Beatty Terrace, Murray Bridge
Tel: +61 8 8531 1799
- Renmark Paringa Community Centre
86 Nineteenth St, Renmark
Tel: +61 8 8586 5745
- Renmark Paringa Visitor Information Centre
84 Murray Avenue, Renmark
Tel: +61 8 8586 6704
- Tailem Bend Community Centre
1 Murray Street, Tailem Bend
Tel: +61 8 8572 3513
Health Services Finder
A free online directory of useful information about private and public health related services in SA. Find your local health service.
Loxton Hospital Complex
Drabsch St, Loxton SA 5333
Tel: +61 8 8584 8555
Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS)
On arrival casework services and community development and participation programs for individuals and families and their new and emerging communities. Provided by the Australian Migrant Resource Centre of SA.
Murraylands Migrant Resource Centre
5 Second Street, Murray Bridge
Tel: +61 8 8532 3922
You can find out more about services in your area via the Department of Social Service's interactive map of settlement services for humanitarian entrants.
Assists childcare services to respond to the needs of all children in their care, particularly those with refugee status and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Bi Cultural Support Program
Tel: +61 8 8358 2230
Riverland Regional S.A.: Berri
Tel: +61 8 8582 3266
Various information is available at local libraries, often in other languages.
Local and District Councils
Local and district councils provide a range of services for those resident in their council area.
Lutheran Community Care Services
Information sessions, Afghan youth group, support for vulnerable women at risk, developing volunteer advocates. For humanitarian entrants who have been in Australia for less than five years. Run by Lutheran Community Care SA.
Tel: +61 8 8269 9300 (Adelaide) and +61 8 8531 3644 (Murray Bridge and Riverland)
Murray Bridge Refugee Support Program
Provides settlement advice, referral and case work; tutoring and informal English programs, community education workshops for new and emerging communities, and community consultations that lead to the development of projects to build capacity. For humanitarian entrants who have been in Australia for less than five years. Run by Lutheran Community Care SA.
Office of Consumer and Business Services
Provides services and information to the general public on:
- Consumer Affairs (includes Product Safety)
- Business and Occupational Services (includes Business Names,
- Associations and Co-operatives, Licensing)
- Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Tenancies (includes Residential, Retail, Bonds and support to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal).
Tel: 131 882
29 Vaughan Terrace and 30 Kay Avenue, Berri
19 Seventh Street, Murray Bridge
Family counselling, individual counselling and financial counseling on sexual concerns, domestic and family violence, separation, HIV and Hepatitis, post adoption, problem gambling. Run by Relationships Australia (SA).
Tel: +61 8 8223 4566 / 1300 364 277 / 1800 182 325
Many SA government owned resources can be used for free or a small fee by voluntary organisations and community groups.
- Disability SA (Berri), 28 Kay Avenue, Berri
Meeting room (up to eight people), photocopier, laptop, data projector, electronic whiteboard, colour printer, overhead projector, scanner, and fax.
Tel: +61 8 8588 2400
- Disability SA (Murray Bridge), 6 Verdun Road, Murray Bridge
Photocopier and data projector
Tel: +61 8 8532 4503
- Families SA (Riverland District Centre), 14 Kay Avenue, Berri
Tel: +61 8 8595 2438
- Families SA (Murray Bridge), 1-5 Seventh Street, Murray Bridge
Tel: +61 8 8535 6211
- Housing SA (Berri), 29 Vaughan Terrace, Berri
Meeting space (up to 6-8 people) with overhead screen, data projector, lap top computer and access to kitchen. Access to a photocopier and fax machine is also available.
Tel: 131 299
- Housing SA (Murray Bridge), Mobilong House, Seventh Street, Murray Bridge
Meeting space (up to 20 people) with television, DVD player, overhead screen, data projector, lap top computer and access to kitchen. Access to a photocopier and fax machine is also available.
Tel: 131 299
- SA Schools and Preschools,Various locations across South Australia
Government schools and preschools across the state have a wide variety of facilities and resources available for use by volunteer organisations. To find out more about what's available in your community, contact your local school's Principal/Director. You can find all the locations and contact details for schools in your local area by visiting the Department of Education and Child Development website.
- Children Youth and Women's Health Services: Friends of Child and Family Health Branches
Various locations - offer a range of resources available for use by volunteer organisations. These can include facilities like meeting spaces, however, will vary from branch to branch.
Tel: +61 8 8303 1544
Offer a variety of resources to volunteer organisations for a special discounted hire price - 50% off the usual hire fee.
- Berri Campus, Kay Avenue, Berri
- Murray Bridge Campus, 52-68 Swanport Road, Murray Bridge
- Renmark Campus, Thurk Street, Renmark
- Email: email@example.com